Location: Seattle, Washington
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center is an independent, nonprofit organization providing adult cancer treatment and groundbreaking research focused on cancer and infectious diseases. Based in Seattle, Fred Hutch is the only National Cancer Institute-designated cancer center in Washington.
With a track record of global leadership in bone marrow transplantation, HIV/AIDS prevention, immunotherapy and COVID-19 vaccines, Fred Hutch has earned a reputation as one of the world's leading cancer, infectious disease and biomedical research centers. Fred Hutch operates eight clinical care sites that provide medical oncology, infusion, radiation, proton therapy and related services, and network affiliations with hospitals in five states. Together, our fully integrated research and clinical care teams seek to discover new cures to the world's deadliest diseases and make life beyond cancer a reality.
At Fred Hutch we value collaboration, compassion, determination, excellence, innovation, integrity and respect. These values are grounded in and expressed through the principles of diversity, equity and inclusion. Our mission is directly tied to the humanity, dignity and inherent value of each employee, patient, community member and supporter. Our commitment to learning across our differences and similarities make us stronger. We seek employees who bring different and innovative ways of seeing the world and solving problems. Fred Hutch is in pursuit of becoming an anti-racist organization. We are committed to ensuring that all candidates hired share our commitment to diversity, anti-racism and inclusion.
The Registered Nurse is a member of an interdisciplinary care team. This role provides patient centric care and is primarily responsible for nursing assessment and diagnosis, planning, implementation, and evaluation.
- Hours of Business: The Procedure Suite operates Monday - Friday, 0600-1730.
- Patient Population: The Procedure Suite provides a venue for invasive procedures, with or without moderate sedation or general anesthesia, to adult patients with hematologic malignancies, solid tumor cancers and screening procedures. Procedures include: bone marrow biopsy, aspiration and skin biopsy; GI and pulmonary endoscopy; lumbar puncture and intrathecal medication administration; and placement/removal of tunneled and non-tunneled central vascular access devices. Strong emphasis is placed on moderate sedation administration, our expanding Interventional Radiology suite with developments in CT/Angio biopsy, and on our unique RN-procedurist bone marrow procedure program. The procedure suite team also provides support for clinic emergency response events.
- Model of Care: Our model of care is patient centered, multidisciplinary, collaborative, and forward focused. We believe in just culture, shared values, continual improvement, and inclusive nurse leadership. We are diverse, innovative, respectful, and passionate about the care we provide our patients and their families.
- Assesses physical, emotional, social, and spiritual needs and evaluates patients' adaptation to health changes
- Develops a plan of care based on patients' disease, symptoms, and response to treatment
- Educates patients, families, and caregivers on disease processes, treatment, side effects and symptom management
- Coordinates with inter-disciplinary team to ensure continuity of care
- Refers patients, families and caregivers as appropriate to other clinical resources/professionals such as social work, home health care, clinical nutrition, etc.
- Implements, evaluates and modifies plan of care
- Integrates research and evidence based knowledge into clinical practice
In addition to the primary responsibilities of the Registered Nurse job description, the Procedure Suite Moderate Sedation RN will be responsible for administering minimal and moderate sedation during sedated procedures; performing intake and recovery for procedures; assisting with setup and intra-procedural care; responding to medical emergencies throughout the clinic with the Rapid Response team; and assisting with coordination of care for Procedure Suite patients.
Our nurse staff may also choose to participate in clinical practice committees to develop policy, practice, and workflow; assist in onboarding and orientation of new clinical staff through our trained preceptor program; cross-train to help in technical roles involving operating sterile field management and/or endoscopy technology; integrate professional and educational advancement through project work; and build coordination/navigation skills and experience through trained support of our Clinical Nurse Coordinator team.
- Current Washington State nursing license.
- Current BLS AHA Health Provider Card (or equivalent course, such as by the American Red Cross) and renewal required every two years
- Additional certification may be required dependent upon department.
- Nursing degree
- Critical thinking; the ability to practice the cognitive skills of analyzing, applying standards, discriminating, information seeking, logical reasoning, predicting, and transforming knowledge
- Ability to develop clinical judgment.
- Time Management skills; the ability to organize and manage time and tasks independently
- Ability to communicate effectively by looking and listening for cues, asking open-ended questions, exploring cues, using pauses, screening responses, and clarifying response.
- Ability to effectively listen by using reflecting, acknowledging, summarizing, empathizing, and paraphrasing skill.
- Ability to effectively provide information by checking what information the person knows already, giving small amounts of information at a time, using clear terms and avoiding jargon, avoiding detail unless it is requested, checking for understanding, and pausing and waiting for a response.
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing
- Two years of nursing experience preferred.
This position is patient facing and/or requires access to Fred Hutch clinical facilities. As such, full COVID-19 vaccination is required as a condition of employment, without exception. Booster doses are strongly recommended but not required. If declining a booster, completion of the COVID-19 Vaccination Status Form Questionnaire and COVID-19 Booster Declination Training is required. Because of our immunocompromised patient population, there are no medical or religious accommodations available for any employee who is patient facing and/or requires access to Fred Hutch clinical facilities. Only employees whose positions are fully remote, who are not patient facing and/or require no access to clinical facilities, may apply for medical or religious accommodations. As a condition of employment, newly hired employees must provide proof of vaccination before their first day of employment.
A statement describing your commitment and contributions toward greater diversity, equity, inclusion, and antiracism in your career or that will be made through your work at Fred Hutch is requested of all finalists.
The hourly pay range for this position is from $38.67 to $73.48 and pay offered will be based on experience and qualifications. Registered Nurses are paid on a step-scale basis and are also eligible for shift differentials and other pay premiums such as advanced degree, preceptor and certification.
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center offers employees a comprehensive benefits package designed to enhance health, well-being, and financial security. Benefits include medical/vision, dental, flexible spending accounts, life, disability, retirement, family life support, employee assistance program, onsite health clinic, tuition reimbursement, paid vacation (12-22 days per year), paid sick leave (12-25 days per year), paid holidays (13 days per year), paid parental leave (up to 4 weeks), and partially paid sabbatical leave (up to 6 months). Paid time off is prorated for part-time positions.
This position may be eligible for relocation assistance.
Our Commitment to Diversity
We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act (VEVRAA) Employer. We are committed to cultivating a workplace in which diverse perspectives and experiences are welcomed and respected. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, ancestry, national origin, sex, age, disability (physical or mental), marital or veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, political ideology, or membership in any other legally protected class. We are an Affirmative Action employer. We encourage individuals with diverse backgrounds to apply and desire priority referrals of protected veterans. If due to a disability you need assistance/and or a reasonable accommodation during the application or recruiting process, please send a request to our Employee Services Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 206-667-4700.