Location: Nashville, Tennessee
GI Medicine Research
A staff level Nurse Practitioner (NP) or Physician Assistant (PA) position is available in the Digestive Disease Center at Vanderbilt University Medical Center. Practice focuses on Gastroenterology and Digestive Disease. As a member of the Division of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition, this individual will provide direct care to patients, collaborate with physicians for optimum patient care, and participate in patient teaching.
Advanced degree and experience preferred.
Standard job description and expectations are as follows:
The specialty Nurse Practitioner (NP) or Physician Assistant (PA) in the ambulatory care setting works in collaboration with a multidisciplinary health care team. The specialty NP or PA is generally service/physician aligned, managing a distinct patient population in the outpatient setting. The care is focused for patients with pancreatic disease, including acute and chronic pancreatitis, pancreatic cysts, and exocrine pancreatic insufficiency. The NP or PA functioning primarily in a clinic setting with no weekend or after hours call schedule and no inpatient responsibilities. The specialty clinic NP or PA has a strong foundation in evidenced based practice/education and is responsible for ensuring adherence to clinical pathways/protocols and ensures an environment of safe quality care. The NP or PA demonstrates an advanced level of medical and nursing knowledge, clinical/technical competence, sound clinical judgment, professional communication skills, timely and compliant documentation, and responsible for professional development and competency validation. Ability to work collaboratively with a multidisciplinary team is essential, including participation in twice monthly multidisciplinary pancreas conference.
Advanced degree and experience preferred.
Key Functions and Expected Performances:
- Assessment of Health Status
- Performs and documents in the medical record a complete history and physical examination for acute and complex chronically ill patients.
- Orders and collects data using appropriate assessment techniques, relevant supporting diagnostic information and diagnostic procedures where indicated.
- The NP or PA may serve as the first responder for both nursing and house staff in the event of patient status changes, orders, and in situations requiring procedural and resuscitative interventions.
- Assesses for risks associated with the care of the acute and complex chronically ill patient including medication side effects, immobility, impaired nutrition, fluid and electrolyte imbalance, immunocompetence, invasive interventions and diagnostic procedures.
- Coordinates daily clinic schedule with the attending physician team, presents patient report, collaborates in plan of care, and follows assigned patient population.
Diagnosis. Collaborates with interdisciplinary health care team in making diagnoses of acute and complex chronic conditions.
- Manages diagnostic tests through ordering, interpretation, performance, and supervision.
- Formulates differential diagnoses by priority.
- Diagnoses complications and orders appropriate interventions.
Formulates Plan of Care. Identifies expected outcomes from diagnosis and formulates and documents a plan of care to address complex acute and chronic health care needs.
- Utilizes evidenced based practice guidelines or protocols in an individualized, dynamic plan of care that can be applied across the continuum.
Implements and modifies plan of care. Prescribes diagnostic strategies and therapeutic interventions both pharmacologic, non-pharmacologic, and surgical, needed to achieve expected outcomes.
- Manages further diagnostic tests through ordering, interpretation, performance, and supervision.
Communication and Collaboration. Maintains ongoing communication and collaboration with interdisciplinary health care team .
- Facilitates and communicates with patient, family and staff to promote continuity of care across the outpatient continuum of care.
Documentation. Documents/dictates key components of patient's progress via daily progress note, transfer, and discharge summary, and/or clinic note where applicable. (h&p, daily progress notes, plan of care, problem lists, procedure notes, acute event note, discharge summaries in medical record per specific patient unit or service, death summary)
- Documentation is timely, meets critical care compliance standards and captures patient acuity.
Professional Practice. Demonstrates Professional Practice behaviors including: preceptor/mentoring, education and instruction of students, nursing staff, nurses, graduate and novice nurse practitioners,
- Seeks opportunities for active engagement in research and the analysis of evidenced based practice.
PRN council meetings, staff and unit meetings, M&M presentations. membership in a professional organization.
Our Nursing Philosophy:
We believe highly skilled and specialized nursing care is essential to Vanderbilt University Medical Center's mission of quality in patient care, education and research. We believe nursing is an applied art and science focused on helping people, families and communities reach excellent health and well-being.
As a Vanderbilt University Medical Center employee, you make a difference to our patients and their families by bringing compassion and care to those in need of hope and healing. Please see our current employee benefits offered:
- Affordable High Quality Health Plan Options
- Dental and /or vision plan
- 403 (b) retirement plan
- Paid Time off (flex PTO)
- Tuition Reimbursement and adoption assistance (maximums applied)
- Short-Long term disability
- Subsidized backup childcare
- And many more... Ask us about our current inpatient nursing supplemental Pay Program!
Achieve the Remarkable:
Learn more about VUMC Nursing:
Organizational Impact: Executes job responsibilities with the understanding of how output would affect and impact other areas related to own job area/team with occasional guidance. Problem Solving/ Complexity of work: Analyzes moderately complex problems using technical experience and judgment. Breadth of Knowledge: Has expanded knowledge gained through experience within a professional area. Team Interaction: Provides informal guidance and support to team members.
Core Capabilities :
Supporting Colleagues:- Develops Self and Others: Invests time, energy, and enthusiasm in developing self/others to help improve performance e and gain knowledge in new areas.- Builds and Maintains Relationships: Maintains regular contact with key colleagues and stakeholders using formal and informal opportunities to expand and strengthen relationships.- Communicates Effectively: Recognizes group interactions and modifies one's own communication style to suit different situations and audiences. Delivering Excellent Services:- Serves Others with Compassion: Seeks to understand current and future needs of relevant stakeholders and customizes services to better address them.- Solves Complex Problems: Approaches problems from different angles; Identifies new possibilities to interpret opportunities and develop concrete solutions.- Offers Meaningful Advice and Support: Provides ongoing support and coaching in a constructive manner to increase employees' effectiveness. Ensuring High Quality: - Performs Excellent Work: Engages regularly in formal and informal dialogue about quality; directly addresses quality issues promptly.- Ensures Continuous Improvement: Applies various learning experiences by looking beyond symptoms to uncover underlying causes of problems and identifies ways to resolve them. - Fulfills Safety and Regulatory Requirements: Understands all aspects of providing a safe environment and performs routine safety checks to prevent safety hazards from occurring. Managing Resources Effectively: - Demonstrates Accountability: Demonstrates a sense of ownership, focusing on and driving critical issues to closure.- Stewards Organizational Resources: Applies understanding of the departmental work to effectively manage resources for a department/area.- Makes Data Driven Decisions: Demonstrates strong understanding of the information or data to identify and elevate opportunities. Fostering Innovation:- Generates New Ideas: Proactively identifies new ideas/opportunities from multiple sources or methods to improve processes beyond conventional approaches.- Applies Technology: Demonstrates an enthusiasm for learning new technologies, tools, and procedures to address short-term challenges.- Adapts to Change: Views difficult situations and/or problems as opportunities for improvement; actively embraces change instead of emphasizing negative elements.
LIC-Physician's Assistant Certified - Tennessee
Relevant Work Experience
Less than 1 year
For a copy of the physical requirements of this position to determine if you can perform the duties with or without an accommodation or to request an accommodation, please contact VUMC Employee Relations at 615-343-4759 or firstname.lastname@example.org.